I have purposely added more and more talk moves to my math (and science) teaching as I’ve learned about and seen them in practice. The results have been good. I’ve seen students move forward as mathematicians and as individuals interacting with their peers in the classroom.
“Let me repeat what you just said…Did I say that right? Is that what you meant?” Revoicing is a great talk move. I use it when I’m not quite sure what the student just said or when their thinking is close but not quite what I’m looking for. “Can you say that again in a different way?”
“Who can tell us what so-and-so just said?” I especially like to use repeating when a student has just given an excellent answer or just shared a great idea or strategy. It puts the thought out to the whole class one more time, perhaps in a slightly different way which might impact more students. Often I will ask students to turn and talk to keep the thought in motion among as many students as possible.
“Why did you do that?” “Can you share your thinking?” “How did you find that answer?” Reasoning questions ask the most of the student. They get right to the meaning and understanding the students are creating in their minds. When their answers are valuable I ask for others to repeat what they said or for the whole class to turn and talk about it.
The latest talk move I’ve tried is “Do you agree/disagree with what so-and-so said? Let me see hands.” “Why do you agree/disagree?” This one seems to liven up the class when things are dragging. It forces students to take a stand and defend it. Next I’ll try having them turn and talk with each other about their positions.
No comments:
Post a Comment