Thursday, June 23, 2011

Health and Fitness Elements

In Cohort 16's first class session for Health and Fitness Methods I learned there are many elements that need to be included which I would not have considered before: topics such as bullying, drug abuse, child abuse, mental disorders, and eating disorders.  I also learned there are different interpretations of what it means to be healthy.  My first idea was that it means to be free from disease.  Others saw it as being physically fit, having normal weight for one's height and build, being able to participate in any activities one wishes, or an overall combination of such things.  Lastly, I was led to consider the relationship between health, fitness, and culture.  I learned that health and fitness are terms that are almost interchangeable.  Someone suggested that health can mean different things in different cultures.  It is relative.  This promises to be an interesting class.  Do I really have but three weeks to learn all I need to teach health and fitness in an elementary school class?

No comments:

Post a Comment