Today's Health and Fitness class initiated a new topic for me, lesson plans. I learned that lesson must be specific but the content is up to the teacher. Over the course of a term teachers must satisfy the state requirements (EALRs and GLEs) so these should be shown in their lesson plans. This new knowledge actually sets my mind somewhat at ease because it provides an organized method for creating such plans from existing standards. I know I don't need to reinvent the wheel. I must simply choose the right spokes and fit them in my plan.
We also ran a "skeleton race" in class. Fun! This provided a real life demonstration of the value of such physical activities for loosening up a class, relieving stress, breaking up boredom (not that we were bored).
Lastly, the epipen demonstration was very interesting. I noted several people in our class who had experience with their use or connections with people who needed to have these lifesaving devices at the ready. One fifth grade class where I volunteered this past year had a sign on the door alerting entrants that there was a student with a peanut allergy in this class. I wonder if there were epipens available and if the staff was trained in their use. The next time I see such a sign I know what to ask.
No comments:
Post a Comment