Saturday, November 19, 2011
Shared Writing
I am excited about the Shared Writing activities described in Writing Essentials. This strategy combines so many things we have studied. It can easily involve all students no matter what their literacy skills. It gives students their voice, stimulates their creativity, and empowers them to make decisions. It can provide opportunities to simultaneously work on reading and spelling skills. The topic of a shared writing piece can be pure fiction or it can be a topic from another part of the curriculum, such as science or social studies. I am fortunate to have seen shared writing in action in my main placement. My cooperating teacher uses this strategy often with our second and third graders, exactly as shown in the book. So far I have been the observer. But I think this is something I could do and I am anxious to get back in her classroom. I think she will give me the opportunity to try it out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Writing Essentials does give a lot of great ideas for leading students to writing. As I read the book, I can't help thinking about how much time it will take to do many of the activities she suggests, but it is so important. It will be worth the time it takes, and as we become more experienced, it will become easier to integrate other disciplines with writing, both shared and individual.
ReplyDelete