When I returned to my main placement second and third graders I learned one third grader had left our class. Her parent removed her to do home schooling.
At the end of September I was present for a conference with the parents, my cooperating teacher, and the school psychologist. Mom said she believed that her daughter needed special services. She said she believed she was not achieving as well as her abilities. She told us how unhappy the child was at home and described a tantrum she had in a specialist’s office outside school. (Mom regularly takes her to several specialists outside school.) Mom’s observations did not align with the school’s testing and the observations of the teacher, the school psychologist, or me. We all saw a happy, middle level student in class. She got along well with teachers and peers. She performed at grade level in all subjects. She was with the same teacher all last year too so the teacher observations were extensive.
This outcome is not what my cooperating teacher or the school psychologist thought would be best for the child. But of course the parents make the decision. I share this story because it shows how difficult situations can arise and how important it is to communicate with and to try to maintain a good relationship with every parent.
No comments:
Post a Comment