Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Happy Teachers - and one student teacher

 The New York Times today published the results of a Gallup Poll showing that teachers enjoy the highest level of well-being of all occupations in the United states:


To add a bit of anecdotal evidence: 

I am a student teacher.  I am under pressure to complete essays for my portfolio by Friday.  My cooperating teacher asked me to teach a read aloud to our second and third graders Thursday.  I cannot say no.  I love these kids.  I want to teach.  Our school had a staff meeting which lasted till four o'clock.  I was inching toward the door to get to my homework and lesson preparation when stopped at the door by the school P.E. teacher.  I paraphrase.  "Mr. Bell, the students in my class are talking about you."  What?  Uh....   "They say they like you.  I see all the kids in this school and I know what they think about all the teachers.  They respect you.  They like you.  They said they want you to get hired as a fourth grade teacher so they can all be in your class next year."
My personal well-being index just shot through the roof.

1 comment: