Thursday, February 2, 2012

Constructive Feedback - Set the Stage

My field instructor offered some great feedback that I will be able to use immediately with my second and third graders.  While I already realized the need to set expectations before a lesson begins, she explained exactly how specific I could be and how easily I could set those expectations - how I could better set the stage for the lesson. 
My read aloud had to be taught with the second graders at their tables rather than on the carpet because we were sharing the classroom space. I asked the kids to turn towards me but soon after I started several began to face across the table instead of towards me.  I noticed that the kids' folder boxes and pencil boxes on the tables were acting as distractions and obstacles to their vision. I repeated my request for the students to face me several times during the lesson because the laws of physics seemed to be calling them to face across the table.  Two students occasionally messed with the folder boxes and one had to be reminded to return pencils to the pencil box.  The lesson progressed with my students showing interest and offering their connections to the text and to the pictures I showed them.  But I sensed that it could have been better without the distractions. 
During our conference after the lesson, my field instructor showed me how simple it would have been to have the kids turn their chairs towards me, making it easier for them to stay focused on the lesson.  I could also have had them place the file boxes and pencil boxes on the floor in front of the tables where they would have been out of play during the lesson.  A minute or two spent setting the stage could have improved the effectiveness of my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment