Sunday, February 26, 2012

Morning Math and Math Timings

My cooperating teacher asked me to handle the Morning Math and Math Timings for our 2/3 split on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  When the kids gather in the classroom they are supposed to get their math folders, pull out the Morning Math sheet and begin the day's questions.  These are varied questions, designed to make them think, to get their math brains working.  There may be questions such as:

Which unit of measure would you use to measure the distance from here to Canada? 
A. kilograms B. kilometers C. feet D. grams 
How many more days did Ella spend camping than Jimmy? (fill in your answer using data from a graph) 
Round the following numbers to the nearest ten A. 126 B. 371 C. 80 D. 13. 

I circulate among the tables, helping students (without actually answering their questions) and watching to see when most are finished.  Then we go over the questions together with the questions displayed on the whiteboard via the overhead projector.  I ask for volunteers, looking for new hands waving whenever I can.  The chosen student comes to the front, does the question on the whiteboard, and shares their reasoning with the class.  I usually need to ask them to speak up so all can hear.  Without confirming their work I poll the class for agreement/disagreement.  I facilitate discussion as they share their thinking until we have consensus.  I'm trying to show them that it is OK to share an answer that turns out wrong in the end.  Lately I've begun to ask for answers from some non-waving hands too.  If that person has no answer I let them know that it is ok but that I will ask them another time because I want to know everyone's thinking on the math questions.  So far this has worked well.

While the students are working on the Morning Math we pass out their Math Timings sheets.  These 2 minute, 40 question math facts tests are leveled.  In our 2/3 split they range from 2 digit addition and subtraction, to multiplication, to 3 digit numbers divided by 1 digit numbers.  I think these tests are good for two reasons.  They help the students increase their recall of math facts without undue pressure, and they allow each student to progress at their own speed.  Students must get 38 or more correct to move on to the next level.  Several second graders are working at a level with most of the third graders.  Several third graders, including two who have IEPs, are working at a level with most of the second graders.  Students who finish the Morning Math questions are asked to practice for the Math Timings.  At the completion of Morning Math at the whiteboard I give them a couple more minutes to practice before we start the test.  Most students (but not all) are very competitive about their test levels.  We do not share the levels with the class, but we encourage all to do their best so they can advance.

Together, these two activities take about 15 or 20 minutes of our 80 minute class period.  I am delighted I have this assignment because it gives me valuable time and experience interacting with our students and learning how to bring out the math they know.

No comments:

Post a Comment