Saturday, October 29, 2011

Addition and Subtraction - TOGETHER ON THE SAME PAGE!


The first graders in my dyad placement began subtraction last week.  My dyad teacher suggested I teach the Math Expressions Unit 2 Lesson 16, Mixed Practice with Equations this week.  Never one to run, I said yes and made copies of the lesson to practice at home. 
When the big day arrived I started with some hesitation.  First I had to ask the first graders how to get to the next slide on the smart board.  Then the teacher needed to jump in to calibrate the smart board for me.  Finally, I got into the lesson.  I had learned from watching and listening to my dyad teacher that lessons are not always best taught following the exact directions in the book.  First graders, especially, need to see it, do it, do it again, and again, and again.  I also learned that I must "read" my students' understanding (if that is possible) by watching the expressions on their faces, listening to how many respond when I ask a question for all to answer at once, seeing how many raise hands for a question, listening to their answers, and, of course, seeing what they put on paper as I walk around checking their work.
The hard part of this particular lesson for first graders was that for the first time we mixed addition and subtraction problems in one lesson, on the same page.  I found I was able to bring them along by calling attention to the words and signs that mean addition and subtraction and by asking them to tell me what strategies could work to help them find the answer.  I had seen my dyad teacher do this the week before.  These directions were not in the book but they were necessary for the first graders.
After the lesson I talked about it with my dyad teacher .  We agreed I could have done some things differently and could have stressed some things even more.  But she pronounced it mission accomplished. 
The next day the kids did a review worksheet.  Some students were able to pick up right where they were at the end of the lesson.  Others were again baffled by addition and subtraction on the same page.  But this time it took only an example on the board or a teacher's directed question at their desk to get them back on track.  We could see that indeed they had learned something from my lesson.

2 comments:

  1. How cool you were able to adapt your lesson on the spot! It's wonderful your teacher provided an opportunity in which you could teach an extension of a lesson. This enabled you to use their prior knowledge to determine the solution. Now that you have taught math, are you persuaded to pursue the math TPA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great!! It is amazing to see what progress we are making when it comes teaching lessons and feeling confident to teach these lessons to our students. I think my biggest fear is that I will teach a lesson to my students and they won't get it or they will ask me a question that I don't understand. What do we do in a situation when students don't understand how we are teaching it to them? I know we are going to flop at times and there will be lessons that we fail at but I guess it is all about learning from the experience and growing from it, I am still a little scared but after hearing about your success I am hoping that I can have the same success teaching a lesson to my students.

    ReplyDelete