I was greatly impressed with my kindergartener's reading ability in the first part of her Emergent Literacy Assessment. I was again impressed with her rhyming skills. Then I was greatly surprised to see that she lacked one of the basic skills of phonics - beginning sounds awareness. I wondered how she could read parts of the puppy book, write a paper that made good sense and was easily readable, and display good rhyming ability, yet not be able to identify a single beginning sound or give any similar beginning sounds. My confusion was put to rest when I read in Fox, p. 28, that "children who are aware of rhyme are either aware of the sounds that precede it or will quickly develop beginning sound awareness as they participate in rhyming activities."
This bit of information about my kindergartener highlights another point found on p.6: "Teach phonics systematically." Without the assessment I might have considered her ready for first grade readers. Now I see that her reading will be much easier and she will progress much faster when she is taught about beginning sounds.
I'm wondering now what you plan on working on with your kindergarten buddy next week. Would it be best to continue with rhyme awareness, even though she appears to understand it. I'm curious if continuing work with rhyming will naturally develop beginning sound awareness as Fox claims. Or are you instead going to do an activity to develop beginning sound awareness?
ReplyDeleteI spoke with our literacy professor and she advised me to work on the beginning sounds. She even loaned me a book to read with my kindergartener on Tuesday! I also found a colorful worksheet activity I think she might enjoy when we finish the book. It includes 6 worksheets with 4 pictures on each. Below each picture are 3 letters. The directions say to circle the letter that each word begins with. I know we won't finish them all but she can take them with her. I just realized this will be our last meeting. I'm sad to leave her. I became attached so easily.
ReplyDelete